Pressure ulcers or Decubitus ulcers are also known as Bedsores. Bed Sores are the skin liaisons that result from prolonged pressure to various parts of the body. It is mostly seen in people who have been on a bed rest for a long time. These skin liaisons begin with minor wounds which sometimes severely affect the tissues and may even reach up to the bones. Bed Sores may cause fatal complications and thus require medical intervention. If other treatment options, such as oral antibiotics or VAC (vacuum assisted closure) etc, do not work for you, you may be suggested to go in for surgical removal of Bed Sores or debridement.
If you are looking for surgery in Hyderabad, then there are many options for Debridement for Bed Sores surgery in Hyderabad. You may compare various options and choose the one best suited to your requirements.
It is very important that you choose a good surgeon or an expert in the field, for the surgical procedure. There are many Debridement for Bed Sores surgeons in Hyderabad. After you finalize upon a good surgeon, your surgeon will assess your condition and suggest you the best-suited treatment option. Debridement of bed sores can be performed in many ways and after examining your sores closely your surgeon may recommend you the following debridement options:
- Sharp or Surgical Debridement: This surgical procedure involves removing the dead or the damaged tissue. Surgical scalpel or scissors are used to carefully remove the dead tissue from the skin. This method of debridement is useful in wounds that are comparatively larger and contain a lot of infected and necrotic debris.
- Autolytic Debridement: This kind of debridement involves using body’s moisture and enzymes for the healing process. The enzymes effectively break down the slough and eschar without affecting the healthy skin. This is most effective for stage II or stage III level bed sores.
- Enzymatic Debridement: This kind of debridement involves breaking down the necrotic tissue with the help of chemical agents. This debridement is also called as chemical debridement.
- Mechanical Debridement: This kind of debridement involves wet and moist dressing that is removed manually. This kind of debridement is effective in bed sores that have more amount of necrotic debris.
- Biological Debridement: This kind of debridement involves usage of maggots that eat away the damaged tissue without affecting the healthy tissue.
Surgical debridement is generally the last option for the treatment of bed sores. Most surgeons do not opt for this procedure unless it is the only option left. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that you compare doctors online as well, and opt for a doctor who is an expert in the field. Following are some of the complications that may arise from surgical debridement of bed sores:
- It may cause infection of the bone or osteomyelitis
- It may lead to blood poisoning
- It may lead to abscesses
- The implanted skin tissue may die
- It may lead to deep vein thrombosis
The surgical debridement of bed sores is a challenging surgery because most patients requiring this surgery are already in an unhealthy condition. If surgical debridement is the only option of treatment for, you may talk to your surgeon in detail about the probable complications. This surgical procedure not only minimizes the chances of fatal infection but also speeds up the healing of the bed sores. A balanced and healthy diet also helps in speeding up the healing process.